Thursday, July 22, 2010

It's 99 degrees. Let's run!

Ok. So. When my good friend Shruthi suggested this whole, running club, thang, it sounded highly entertaining! That's an exaggeration. It sounded like something I should try to do anyways.

Here's the challenge:
10 weeks
Learn how to run safely, increase your speed and time, and run a 5k at the end.
You'll have a mentor and no one runs alone.
This group is for beginners. Thank god.

About me:
I haven't run more than a mile since the 5th grade when we had to. My legs are like 2 feet long. I've never really been "in shape" since high school. I do, however, eat pretty well and I do work out 2-3 times a week, so I'm not a total couch potato.

I work for a nonprofit and play the violin. That has nothing to do with running.

My father-in-law is 52 and runs 100 mile races. Up mountains. That has nothing to do with me, but it is sort of wild.

Tonight we have our first group meeting. Shruthi and I are going to run (ok, probably walk - it is, afterall 99 degrees)but there is no structured group run. Our first real run is Saturday.

I want to chronicle this experience because I've been your classic "non-runner" my whole life. Hence, the title of this blog. Frankly, if I can do it, anyone can.

So. 99 degrees. I'm going running. (in my head that sounded just like Forrest Gump.)

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment