Thursday, July 29, 2010

One down, nine to go.

7 days. 4 runs. Who's the man?

This guy!!!!

When I last blogged, I had run at 6 am. Well, guess what? I did it again Tuesday! Fo reals! I did 2 miles, by myself, at 6 in the morning.

Who's the man?

Ok, I could go on like that for like every tiny accomplishment of the week, but I won't.

Tonight we had another group run - it was hotter than hell. Again. Running in 70 degress is going to feel amazing.

We increased our interval tonight - 2 minute run, 1 minute walk. Eek. Much, much harder. (Preston says I get bonus points because it was wicked hot) My troupe and I did manage to keep up for about the first mile - hey! Progress is progress!

After our run we had a great speaker - Alison from Interact. She's one of us - that is, a beginning runner - and also one of us - a nonprofit fundraiser. Interact is a domestic violence shelter and counseling facility that we are running for on Sept. 25th.

Did you know that 1 in 4 women will be subject to abuse in their life? Last year, Interact served 42,000 people right here in Raleigh. To give you an idea of how may people that really is, 42,000 is the total combined student population of NCSU, Meredith, Peace, Shaw, Saint Aug's, plus another 3,000 people. Domestic abuse knows no race, class, or education level. And when something does happen, they can turn to Interact to help them learn how to move on.

They work with 8 other nonprofit organizations in the same building (it's an amazing model - the nonprofit geek in me LOVES it) and they do incredible work in our community. Learning to run is one thing - putting that registration money down and pounding the pavement for Interact? Now that's a concept I can get behind.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment