Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review - my new stuffs!

I go through phases of not writing here.  Sorry about that.  I've been a little burned out at work lately and it's translating to this overwhelming desire to stay the heck off the computer.

But, I'm getting a little room to breathe at the office, so I'm back!  How're things?

I've been running, spinning, and weight-lifting my little heart out.  I even did a 2 hour class with Tom last week (if you've ever been to one of Tom's spin classes, you know that I am now a certified athletic badass for not dying).   Weather has been wack around here - it's been colder this April than it was in January.  WTF?

But, I've still been hitting that pavement, and I've got some new gear that I wanted to share with you.  (Also, opinions are my own and I'm not being compensated for this - just bought this stuff and thought you might want to learn about it!)

1.  I've officially journeyed into the world of minimalist shoes with these sweet Kinvaras that I scored after my half marathon for mere pennies.  They're a few seasons old, but for $40, it was a pretty great way to try this out.

Verdict? I don't hate them.  They're great for short runs, but my foot was a little twingie (that's the technical term) after a 4-miler, so I think I'll just use these for the short runs.  They also make a strange noise on the footfall.  I don't know - there's something weird about it.  Must give them more of a chance.

2. My new Happy Hour Skirt.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this.  Capris get a little warmish in the summer months, but I'm still super self-conscious about my thighs.  (I know, I know, I do love them, but that doesn't mean I want them all out there and stuff.)  But this bad-boy makes me feel uber-sexy.  For serious.

Verdict? Go buy one.  Now.  It doesn't slip, has handy pockets on the thighs under the skirt, and the shorts don't ride up.  For reals.  Go get one.  They have them at fleet feet.  I wear a Large, and it's just right.  (I'm a size 12 most places if that gives you a gauge.)


3.  Polar Ft4 Heart Rate Monitor - I bought this for 2 reasons: 1 - curiosity. 2 - REI coupon and Member dividend.  Good enough reasons for me.  I've been on the lookout for a while for a monitor - again, because I'm curious - and because I want to be more accurate in my calorie counts and knowledge.  I've worn it on 2 runs, a couple of walks, and spin class.  I was surprised how high it got running and how comfortable I still felt.  Bad?  I don't know, but I'm going to focus on keeping it in the "zone" and not letting it get too high.  They say that's a better way to endurance train, so I'ma give it a shot.

Verdict?  Nice to have if you're a data person.  I find it fascinating to figure out what I'm burning calorie-wise and if I'm phoning it in or really pushing it.  The aforementioned 2 hour spin class?  1004 calories. Yowza.  The watch itself is easy to use and the chest strap is pretty comfortable and is fabric, not plastic.  (But, remember, I'm used to a giant bra, so it wasn't that big of a difference for me.)  If you're in the market, I've been really happy with this model. 

Anyone else have some great new gear for the spring/summer?

Have a great week, all!

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment