Monday, March 28, 2011

The cooking experiments continue...

So. When I was a little girl, I went to China with my dad on an exchange trip. We lived with a family in a remote village for a week to learn about the culture. It was pretty wicked-awesome. It's a lot of culture shock for a 12-year-old, but it sure gave me some great perspective on how lucky we are here.

Anywhoo, they had a cart in the village, and the guy rode around the town banging on a wooden block to alert the villagers that he was there peddling his wares. And what were his wares?

Bean curd.

Warm. Smelly. Spongy. Slimy. Disgusting. Bean curd.

You suburbanites know it as tofu.

One night at dinner, the father from our host family smiled a big, toothy smile, and lifted up a giant piece of this fresh, warm bean curd with his chopsticks. And deftly, almost before I could think, popped it in my mouth.

I could have died. Nastiest thing I have EVER tasted.

All that said, tofu has not exactly been on a top-ten list of foods to one day consume. My bean curd experience was just too traumatic. But, as you know, I've been on the WW and this weird, "cook different stuff!" kick. So, between that, and the super-double coupon at HT that made it pretty much free, I decided to give it a try tonight.

Combined with a head of cabbage (from the CSA) a couple of green onions (also on the CSA!) and some bean sprouts, it turned into a pretty yummy, and super-filling stir fry. And the texture wasn't bad. It mostly tasted like everything it was in there with. I might even cook this again sometime.

So, give me the award for willingness to try new things. Well, re-try. Mr. Li would be so proud.

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Howdy there, Miss!!!
    I am proud to be your newest follower!
    I am a Zombie, (self-proclaimed)
    And was a music major/violin minor in college!
    So it is double nice to meet you.
    Make that "Triple" mice cuz I don't like bean curd either!
    But I'm willing to learn new things. (4 times Yay!)

    ReplyDelete