Sunday, March 13, 2011

Time to start ramping it up...

Happy "Hooray! The sun isn't going to set until 7, so I can get a long run in!" Day!

While so may are grumbling about losing an hour of sleep, I couldn't be more thrilled that daylight savings time is here. By the time I get home from the office, I'll still have 2 hours of daylight left!

The timing is fabulous since our half-marathon seems fast approaching. Ok, so it's still 2 months away, but that feels soon. Even sooner is the Cooper River Bridge Run! It's on only 3 weeks!

We started our first official training runs yesterday. The Bridge Run falls perfectly in line with our training plan. We'll run 6.5 next week, 7 the week after, then hit the 10k in Charleston.

I feel like I've been involved in the Cooper River Bridge run before, but maybe that's just because I've had the shirts for so many years! My mom is from Mt. Pleasant - where the race starts. Even when I was a little kid, my aunts used to participate in that race every year. The race has just gotten bigger and bigger, and I'm excited to be a part of it. It's fun to feel like I have some non-tourist claim to Charleston, since it's such a gorgeous part of the world. It's one of the few places on our list of places we'd move.

Anywhoo, it'll be my longest race to date. We've done 6.2 miles several times before, so I'm not too worried about it. The bridge incline doesn't bother me too much either - mostly because I know once you make it up that, it's literally, all downhill from there.

I'm slowly figuring out things to try with our CSA stash -Regan suggested a great recipe to use some of our winter veggies - Roasted Root Vegetables of the WW site. It's 5 Points+ and it used 3 different items from our stash! The parsnips were a little bitter for me, but everything else was delish!

1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 lb small red potatoes, scrubbed & quartered
1 large sweet potato, peeled & cut into 3/4-inch chunks
4 carrots, sliced
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
2 fresh beets, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
2 onions, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 cup chicken broth (hint: Use reduced sodium to save on sodium count in this recipe)
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the oil in a large shallow roasting pan or jelly-roll pan. Heat the pan in the oven until the oil is hot, about 2 minutes. Add the red potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beets and onions.
Combine the broth, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the vegetables, mix well. Bake, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Serve hot or warm.

Happy Sunday!


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment