Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

I LOVE the 4th of July. It is my favorite holiday. My family always gathers at the River and we have a huge party. It is awesome. Here I am with my cousins circa 1990 something... (The baby in the pig tails is a sophomore in college, so this picture is probably 18 years old.)

This year was no exception. All of the Manns and a few assorted others (including my sister-in-law all the way from Utah!)were there. We rented bounce-houses for the kids, had a giant potluck, and put no fewer than 18 boats/jetskis in the water. (that's actually a pretty conservative estimate.)

A couple of things:
1. I didn't count points at all. I was pretty aware of what I was eating, but at some point during the weekend, I did indulge in the following:
- Frankie Cubbedge's banana pudding.
- Lynn Kenner's chocolate chip cookies (the recipe requires 2 sticks of butter and 2 bags of chocolate chips... they are PERFECT.
- Hamburger and hotdog
- Dacquiris, apple pie moonshine, beer, wine, and I can't even remember what else.
- Fried soft-shell crabs

2. I went on a run, and it was awful. Maybe the worst ever. Adventures include:
- Smokey conditions from the wildfires in a nearby county.
- PACKS of dogs. Namely, 5 when I had about a mile to go. 4 were little, but they were backed up by a really big pitbull. Their owners just stood there. I was ANGRY.
- Sweltering heat. It wasn't bad when I started off, but it was awful by the time I was finished.
- Mosquitos. Swarms and swarms of them. They weren't too bad when i was running, but I was doing intervals mostly because of the smoke. Whenever i slowed, they were covering me. It was the most miserable feeling EVER. I probably had 30 bites by the time I got home.
- Bears. OK, Bear,singular, but it did make me a smidge nervous. A black bear crossed the road about 100 yards in front of me. I did, (like an idiot) run toward where I had seen it - perhaps in hindsight, not a great idea. It was cool, but it was an interesting way to get my heart rate up.

So, overall - fitness this week, about a 2. Diet. Negative 8. If I gain this week, I won't be surprised, but hey, life goes on.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. eek! sounds like a terrible run. Luckily, I find my BEST runs follow my worst ;)

    ReplyDelete