Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's like I'm in their club...

So, there are basically 2 categories of people, runners, and non-runners. I was, until very recently, safely in the "non-runner" category. And there was like this magical club where all of the runners met and talked about things like pronation and routes, and stretching, and what race they were running next, and well, they didn't bother talking about that stuff with us non-runners because, well, we didn't so much care.

But I think they're starting to let me in. I'll give you an example. David, one of my work buddies is a serious runner. He blows past people on the racecourse while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller. He's been checking in on my running progress. Today he even offerred a tip for soggy tennis shoes... remove inserts and put in crumpled newspaper.

This is a simple thing. But this is not a conversation David and I would have had before this whole running thing. And he's not the only one. I've been sharing my adventures and more and more people are coming out to not just support me with words and "good for you!"s, but also with insider tips. And it makes me feel like "one of them." You know, the runners.

We did 2.5 miles today at 3-1 around Lake Lynn. Remember, this is where I started this whole adventure, and I could BARELY run 90 seconds and walk 2 minutes for 1 mile. Talk about progression. When you consider how much improvement we've made as a collective group, it's even more impressive.

I may not run like a deer, like some of those cute, skinny, tan girls in their sports bras and little shorts, but I'm still running, and I'm getting better every week.

So thanks, runners, for letting me into your club. It's good times.

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I'm glad to hear you are having success. I'd love to do what you are doing, but the closest run club we have is 45 minutes from my house. No thanks!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete