Saturday, December 11, 2010

Romping in the style of "Reindeer."

Regan and I finished our fourth race today! Yay! That's 4 races I never in my life thought I would do. So, woot to that.

This race was benefitting Girls on the Run, and it was the race they had all been training for. So basically, it was us and a whole slew of little girls. Cute!

You may remember that I was a tad whiny this morning due to the cold, but we realized really quickly that we were overdressed. Half a mile in, we were shedding our jackets. By the end, we were wishing for short sleeves.

The course was a new experience - hilly, and several kinds of terrain. We ran through fields, on gravel, plain 'ol dirt, parking lot, sidewalk - at least it wasn't boring!

We did prove, once again, that intervals are always the way to go for us. We ran through the first mile - slowly. (Ok, to be fair, this could be due to the extreme bottleneck of people in the beginning) All in all, we weren't as far off of our normal pace as we thought we would be - about a 42 minute race. Not a PR, but the hills gave us a nice challenge, and we know what we need to work on.

My favorite part was hearing the little girls encourage each other. It reminded me a lot of our training program. How great that they are learning to run when it's much easier instead of waiting until their late twenties to try to get it started.

I'm still feeling pretty great about running. I'm loving my collection of race t-shirts, and it's pretty great to be a part of the running community.

Sarah

PS - fun give away of SUPER CUTE headbands (you don't know this but I'm a SUCKER for a good headband) Here it is!

2 comments:

  1. How great that you were part of a Girls on the Run race! Great organization - I've been meaning to try to find them in my area.

    Just came across your blog -- love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun race. Different give aways are always nice. Not that I could wear it though! LOL.

    ReplyDelete