Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Friend Makin Monday - uh, Tuesday.

Today is masquerading as a Monday, so I figure it counts.  

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers.

My friend Regan has some amazing tips.  She is a weight-loss tip encyclopedia, so hop on over to her page for some great advice.  I'll add a couple...

Treat food as fuel, not treats.  As Regan says, "You're not a dog.  You don't need treats." But, you do need fuel.  For whatever you're doing.  I loooove greek yogurt, and the genius is, it's also great post-workout fuel.  Almond butter on whole wheat with a little honey?  It's delicious.  It's a treat.  But it's also great pre-run.  If you change your attitude about food's purpose, you'll go a long way.  (I could go on about this for days.  Perhaps a follow up post is required)

Find an activity you love.  This is a "duh," but if you hate running, it's pointless to do that for weightloss because you won't stick with it.  Sure, people have lost all kinds of weight swimming, but it's not for me.  Stick with what you love - be it yoga, zumba, spin, whatever.  Leave the rest.  Don't feel like you have to be an exercise Renaissance man.  If you're moving, it counts.

Find a buddy.  One is good.  10 is better. Make plans to meet them regularly.  You might not keep your promise to yourself to go to the gym 3 times a week, but you'll do it for your friend!

Blog/journal/post, but do whatever you need to do to share your goals.  I think a lot of people don't want to share their weight loss goals in case they fail.  I've found that spending time writing this blog and putting it all out there helps keep me motivated.

Lift weights.  Big, heavy ones. 

Don't just focus on the scale.  "weight loss" is sort of a cruel term.  It should be, "dress size loss" or "fat loss."  Muscle is heavier than fat.  You may actually weigh more but be in much better shape.  (I say this, but it's one of the hardest things for me to remember.)  My friend Jade says, "Strong is the new skinny."  She's right.

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Lift Weights. Big Heavy Ones! I need a tshirt that says that!! :)

    You wanna join a Pilates group once a week with some peeps? A coworker's daughter here at SAS is starting to build her client portfolio - she works out of VivePilates...

    ReplyDelete