Sunday, January 22, 2012

Yoga class

So, one of my goals for the year was to try 3 new classes at the gym.  Yesterday, I hit my first one.

It was a 1.5 hour yoga class.  I've done yoga before - mostly in the living room, but I also did some hot yoga back when it was at Quail Ridge.  It's been a few years since I did that, but I decided it was time to give it another go.

And apparently, I completely forgot how hard it is. 

Yowza.  After a 3.1 mile run, I thought it would be good to stretch out and relax. 

And then, I remembered, "Oh yeah.  It's less about stretching than it is about balance and core strength."
Not what I look like during yoga.

Oops.

I didn't do so well, but I know it's a "practice."  And, holy moly, when your quads are sore from a morning tempo run, doing about 20 versions of the Warrior pose is less than fun.  My poor quads were quivering.  Quivering I tell you.  And not in a good way.

I'll absolutely give it another chance - you know I love a good challenge.

But, next time I'll remember to wear a higher cut shirt - the girls were about to fall out on all those leaning over poses.  And with that big mirror at the front of the class... yikes.  It was almost not suitable for the YMCA.

 Today, I was going to bail on the long run and do spin class instead, but spin was cancelled, so I'm headed out for 5-7 shortly.  Trying a new greenway this morning, so the change of scene will be nice.

Happy Sunday!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Found your blog through Brandy's. I was reading her posts about running and you're mentioned quite a few times, and I must say: the concept of your blog is hilarious.

    I've done a yoga class once, in college, where there were boys who kept trying to look up people's shirts. Not exactly a zen experience. There is a bikram yoga class not far from here that I'm trying to get my husband to try it with me. Should I try to get bendier first so I don't fall over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nice to "meet" you! I would say to just go for it with bikram - if you think about it too hard you'll talk yourself out of it! It's a tricky series of poses, but if they're like the folks at my class before, they'll be pretty understanding if you don't get it at first or need to modify. Be sure to HYDRATE and bring water and a towel. Plan to drink some electrolytes immediately after - just in case. But definitely give it a whirl!

      Delete